Friday, April 29, 2011

Are Parents too Plugged-In?

We tell our young people to unplug, hang up, don't text and drive but as adults, ARE WE? Driving around Fargo–Moorhead, I have seen it all too often, head bent down at a red light texting or talking with the cell phone up to their ear. I have seen the crazy driver in front of me swerving as they texted. I will admit that I am guilty of the red light typing and talking on my phone while driving. I have changed how I am with my phone and now I don't text in my car unless I am parked. I don't talk on the phone when my son is in the car with me. However, I must have told Owen at some point to yell at me when I drove and talked because for awhile I was getting a very good talk from a 6yr old. He was very convincing and I have gotten much better with my phone.  I should just stop completely after reading the statistics of distracted driving.


  • 20 percent of injury crashes in 2009 involved reports of distracted driving. (NHTSA).
  • Of those killed in distracted-driving-related crashed, 995 involved reports of a cell phone as a distraction (18% of fatalities in distraction-related crashes). (NHTSA)
  • In 2009, 5,474 people were killed in U.S. roadways and an estimated additional 448,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes that were reported to have involved distracted driving. (FARS and GES)
  • The age group with the greatest proportion of distracted drivers was the under-20 age group – 16 percent of all drivers younger than 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported to have been distracted while driving. (NHTSA)
  • Drivers who use hand-held devices are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves. (Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
  • Using a cell phone use while driving, whether it’s hand-held or hands-free, delays a driver's reactions as much as having a blood alcohol concentration at the legal limit of .08 percent. (Source: University of Utah)
 We as adults teach our children by example - If we expect them to not drive and text/chat, then we should not either. This seems to be a huge concern with child development researchers throughout the US - are parents TOO plugged in now.

   There was an article in the New York Times on June 9, 2010, which stated that parents are often too involved on their phone or computer to give their full attention to their child. The reasearch concluded and found that children were having feelings of hurt, jealousy and competition through out the study. It all comes down to whether the parent spends quality time with the child and that distracted time is not high-quality time. Just as the NYT article states about a technology ban in the house, I have previously instated a ban on cell phone, computer use from when I pick my son up from daycare until he is asleep. The only people who we do answer the phone for are my parents and my fiance, everyone else can wait until I have had my family time.

I hope that by doing these little steps, I am starting to show the proper use of technology in our lives for my son. Being more active in your childs' life and putting the iPad/cellphone/laptop down is the key to having technology involved in your everyday life.

4 comments:

  1. Below are my choices for your five top posts. Whatever posts you use for your portfolio, make sure you read through them for grammar, spelling, and fluency.

    Keeping Families Together Via Skype
    Inclusion of your own voice
    Hyperlinks
    Shows something beneficial about technology

    Pros and Cons of a Child Having a Cellphone?
    Easy reading through use of bulletpoints
    Good graphs
    Timely topic

    Keeping Kids Safe on the Internet
    Hyperlinked sources
    Consistent format (bold sentences, bulleted sentences)
    Eye catching picture

    Technology In Schools
    Good use of your experience tying into the subject
    Good opinions
    Use of block quote

    Are Parents Too Plugged In?
    Great topic- a nuance of the constant focus of media on children and technology
    Good facts
    Again, sharing your experience to show how it betters your relationships

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your blog, here are what I feel are you top five posts.
    1.) Are parents too plugged in?-a very relevant and current topic. Good facts in the article and good multimedia use.

    2.) Technology in schools-Again, very relevant and current topic. Good job of presenting your view through personal and factual examples.

    3.) Pros and Cons of a child having a cell phone-Good choice of topic, good multimedia use, and the article is outlined in a way that is easy to read.

    4.) Keeping families together via skype- New topic for me and good use of skype. Good personal example you used with your son to show what skype can do.

    5.) Bullying in the new era-Good information. Good quick rundown of what this was and solutions for it were. Topic every parent should be reminded of.

    I love how you put your son in these posts. It gives you so much credibility on this topic. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top 3 posts I think you should use are:

    1. Are Parents too Plugged-In? I think you have great supporting statistics as well as great sources to back this post up. I also think this topic is interesting because teenagers are always blamed, but adults do the same thing.

    2. Technology in the Schools- Ipads for Kindergarteners? I think this a great post because you incorporate a lot of your in personal thoughts into this post which makes it stand out. I also like the multi-media you used for this post. It really brightens the post up.

    3. Pros and Cons of a child having a cell phone? I think this is a great post because your use of multi-media. The graphs show a lot of valuable information that benefited your post. I also really like your formatting of the blog post as well. All of your information is grouped together really well and it has a nice smooth layout that’s easy to follow and nicely organized.

    I think you have a lot of great posts that you could use for your project. I really do think you’re a great blogger, and I think it’s something you should continue doing. I really have enjoyed reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete